Change Your Life By Changing Your Mind
50 Days of Transformation – Part 3
“Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.” Romans 12:2 (NLT)
WHY I MUST MANAGE MY MIND
- BECAUSE- MY THOUGHT CONTROL MY LIFE
“Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts.” Proverbs 4:23
- BECAUSE- MY MIND IS THE BATTLEGROUND FOR SIN
It’s where every temptation happens! And every sin- lust.. hatred… fear… resentment… envy… worry… all starts with the mind
“For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. “Romans 8:5-7 (KJV)
The reason it’s so intense is because you mind is your greatest asset
And whatever gets your attention -gets you
- BECAUSE- ITS THE KEY TO BEING BLESSED AND HAVING PEACE
“If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace.” Romans 8:6 (NLT)
An unmanaged mind leads to tension, pressure, conflict, chaos & stress
A managed mind leads to tranquility, peace, confidence, strength & serenity
3 DAILY CHOICES FOR A HEALTHY MIND
I Must feed… free … focus!
- I MUST- FEED MY MIND WITH TRUTH Jesus said “and you shall know The truth, & the truth will make you free!”
OXFORD REPORT- The Best leaders make the best decisions based on the best info.
MT 4:4 “Man needs more than bread too live; they must feed on every WORD OF GOD.” It Soul food! Its the Owner’s Manual for your Life
WHEN SHOULD I FEED MY MIND WITH TRUTH? ALL THE TIME!
PS. 119:147 “I rise early… to cry out for help and to put my hope in your words HOPE- There are Over 7,000 promises – Become a person of promise!
PS. 119:97“Lord, how I love your Word. I think about it all day long.”
PS. 16:7“Even in the darkest of night, your teachings fill my mind.”
Let me show you how serious David was about this. (on run!)
No matter what was happening in his life, he fed himself the truth
PS. 119: 95 (NLT) “When wicked people hide to ambush and kill me I quietly keep my mind on your decrees.”
Do you do that in a crisis? That’s managing your mind!
“I rise early. . . to cry out for help and to put my hope in your word” Psalm 119:147
“Lord, how I love your Word. I think about it all day long.” Psalm 119:97
“Even in the darkest of night, your teachings fill my mind.” Psalm 16:7 (CEV)
- I MUST- FREE MY MIND FROM DESTRUCTIVE THOUGHTS Your mind must be liberated.. delivered … released.. set free!
This isn’t easy! There are 3 forces battle your mind against good intentions.
None give up ground easily! I Must fight to free my mind!
- 1st ENEMY: IS MY OLD NATURE
ROM 7:23 (screen) “I see in my body a principle at war with the law of my mind, taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells inside me.” (NAB)
Often find yourself doing things you don’t want to do?
Ever knowingly engage in self-defeating behavior!
Your old nature is NOT your friend! It the Source of BAD habits.
ROM. 8:5 “Those who are dominated by their sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.” (NLT)
- 2nd ENEMY: SATAN- Satan can’t force you. But He Entices -He uses the power of suggestion.
Continually planting negative thoughts & ideas-in your head from the moment you wake up..
“Go ahead! You deserve it! Get angry.. Get even.. How dare they?.
2 COR. 2:11 “(I’ve forgiven that man)so that Satan won’t outsmart us. For we’re very familiar with his evil schemes!”
(Anytime you refuse to forgive anyone U have fallen for Satan’s trap)
- 3rd ENEMY: THE WORLD’S VALUES Constantly promoted by advertisers, movies, TV, music & celebrities
1 Jn 2:16 “All that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of this” 1 Jn 2:16 (KJV) Noticed?
Nothing around u encourages u to be disciplined!
So how do you fight this mental battle?
2 COR. 10:3-5 “Though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. (Our weapons) have divine power to demolish strongholds We demolish any argument and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we TAKE CAPTIVE every thought to make it OBEDIENT to Christ.” a mental battle!
A “STRONGHOLD” is a lie that I believe
- can be false value, worldview – hedonism, materialism..
- can be a personal attitude- worry, envy, resentment, pride, self
NOTE two phrase:
“We take captive” Akmalo teedzo capture–conquer, bring under control “We make it obedient” (Hupa koay) bring into submission!
How do we do that? How do u make your mind, mind you?
I must Confess: My thoughts often disobey me.! They rebel!
They have a mind of their own! They go off in directions I don’t intend.
When I need to ponder…. my thoughts wander!
When I need to pray …. they drift away!
The reason most people are ineffective & defeated in life: they don’t know how to fight the battle of the mind!
How does Temptation works
“Temptation comes from the lure of our own evil desires. These evil desires lead to evil actions, and then the evil actions lead to death.” James 1:14-15 (NLT)
Step 1: Desire-
- – it begins inside you “our own desires..”
Often begins with a natural desire… ..drink…sleep…sexual drive (all God given)
Temptation turns a routine desire into a runaway desire
- – It becomes more important than anything
- – It’s all you can think about
- – Any desire out of control: Destructive
Often: Temptation is an attempt to fulfill a legitimate desire…
- – wrong way or time!
POINT: Like steel & magnet Inward pull
Step 2: Doubt – “Did God really say…?”
Step 3: Deception – Believing a lie of Satan
“lured” enticed” (fishing term: using bait!”
- THE SECRET TO FISHING- is using the right bait! How many…catch with bare hook?
Q: What kind of bait does Satan use on you?
- He knows your weaknesses! He Hides the hook!
- I call this “Deception” because often you know there’s a hook
- …but you still keep nibbling
- “I’m an adult!
- Won’t get hurt!
- I’ll be careful” —-DECEIVED!
THE FACT: Temptation always looks better than it is!
Step 4: Disobedience & Defeat
- Now it’s SIN– “ What began in mind -Now translates into action
- Attention — becomes Attitude — Action
Question: What’s danger of harmless fantasy?
- It’s Not harmless! Whatever I flirt with, I’ll fall for.
“After desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin”
End Result: DEATH (the tragic consequences)
- What is death? The exact opposite of living!
- You are free to choose
- but not free to choose the consequences of your choices.
The best time to win the battle is before it happen!
PS. 119:112 “I have made up my mind to obey your laws forever, no matter what.” (CEV)
Feed my mind on truth…. Free my mind from destructive thought
“I have made up my mind to obey your laws forever, no matter what.” Psalm 119:112
- I MUST FOCUS MY MIND ON THE RIGHT THINGS
I’ll just mention the 3 thing to think on that will make the most difference in your mental state:
o THINK ABOUT JESUS
- You’ve heard “You become whatever you think about most”
2 TIM. 2:8 “Keep your mind on Jesus Christ…” (CEV)
HEB. 12:3 “Think about Jesus’ example. He held on while wicked people were doing evil things to him. So do not get tired and stop trying.” (NCV)
o THINK ABOUT OTHERS
PH. 2:4 “Don’t just think about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and in what they are doing.” (LB)
- Would this transform our lives if we all thought of each other first?
HEB. 10:24 “Let us think about each other and help each other to show love and do good deeds.” (NCV)
o THINK ABOUT ETERNITY
COL. 3:2 ‘Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth.”
- “ Someone has said that your so heavenly minded that your no earthly good”
- Hog wash!
- It’s better than being so earthly minded that your no heavenly good!
Truth: The heavenly minded always do the MOST good”
1 Cor. 2:9 “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.” NLT