FROM STRESSED TO BLESSED
50 Days of Transformation- Part 2
Quick Survey: …
- How many of you would like to be physically healthier?
- How many would like to live longer?
PR. 14:30 “Peace of mind makes the body healthy.”(TEV)
(NLT)“A relaxed attitude lengthens a man’s life.”
This week in 50 Days of Transformation – considering the 2nd key area: Physical health.
We going to discuss the 7 Major Sources of Stress:
- work …
- problems …
- opposition …
7 SPIRITUAL HABITS FOR REDUCING STRESS
Along with each habit is an affirmation of faith
PSALM 23 “The Lord is my shepherd so I have all I need. He makes me lay down in lush green meadows. And he leads me beside calm, quiet waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in the right paths for his name’s sake. And even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with me. Your rod and your staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. And you anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy [surely goodness and love] will follow me all the days of my life. And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
- LOOK TO GOD TO MEET ALL MY NEEDS
- Stress comes when we look to others to meet our needs instead of God.
How do you know when you’re doing that? We Start WORRY! (1st source of stress)
Ps.23:1 “The Lord is my shepherd, so I have all I need”
- Stop expecting others to meet needs that only God can meet!
ROM 8:32 “Since God did not spare even his own Son for us but gave him up for us, won’t he also surely give us everything else we need?”
You’re stress would drop dramatically if u realized how much u matter to God!
Stress reductions starts with looking to God:
Isa. 30:15 “The Sovereign Lord says ‘ONLY in returning to me and waiting for me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength!’”(NLT)
- WORSHIP is the antidote to worry.
AFFIRMATION: I trust God to meet my needs!
- OBEY GOD’S INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT REST
- A lot of stress comes from overwork driven by insecurities.
- Think about this: God could have made our bodies to not need sleep.
Instead, you’ll spend 1/3rd of your life sleeping
GOD DOESN’T SLEEP OR SLUMBER
- Yet God modeled rest in creation. He wasn’t tired
- The Bible- is filled with directions about the value of rest for our bodies
In Fact: in Big 10 commandment
- 6 days shall you work and the seven day you’ll rest.
If you’re not smart enough to obey God, he’ll make sure you rest:
PS. 23:2a“He makes me lie down…”
If you dont TAKE time off- your body will MAKE time off!
Write this down– My best requires rest!
EX. 34:21 “Six days are set aside for work, but every seventh day you must rest completely, even during your seasons of plowing and harvest, you must observe a Sabbath day of rest.”
Note: Even your busiest season – is no excuse
ILL: During the French Revolution they -abolished Sunday as day of rest; But later they restored it – as the health of nation collapsed from burned-out!!
“But I feel guilty-when I relax” Jesus didnt!
ILL: Man said to his pastor “I tried to get in touch with you all day on Monday”
“It’s my Sabbath, my Day Off”! “Well the Devil never takes a day off” said the man.
“Yes Sir, and if I didn’t, I be just like the Devil!” the pastor replied.
THREE THINGS TO DO I DO ON MY SABBATH?
1. I Rest my body.
2. I Refocus my spirit.
3. I Recharge my emotions- different ways
AFFIRM: I’m trusting God by resting
- RE-CHARGE MY SOUL WITH BEAUTY.
- Do you ever wondered why God made nature so beautiful? You Don’td have to!
Ans: For his glory… your enjoyment & your health!
- You need to listen to beautiful things and look at beautiful scenes
PS. 23:2-3a “He makes me lie down in lush green meadows and leads me besides calm, quiet waters. He restores my soul.”
- That’s a scene we all can visualize!
Have you ever heard someone say: “I feel closer to God in nature” – Of course you do!
He made it all!
PH. 4:8 “You’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, and gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly.”(Mes)
- Because of sin- there are a lot of unpleasant things in this world
- What you give your attention to- will raise or lower your stress!
Which of these either- RAISE/ LOWER STRESS:
- local news?
- most music videos?
1. Start your day with God, not in media (email ,text,TV, talk radio)
2. Get outside. Even if just backyard. Eat lunch…
3. Take up art or an instrument for stress relief
4, Intentionally put beauty around you. Seashells,
AFFIRM: Lets enjoy the beauty God has created.
- GO TO GOD FOR GUIDANCE.
- A 4th common source of stress is indecision.
- At a fork in the road, you can’t decide- so you get stuck / paralyzed!
Make God your 1st source for direction in life. (Not others)
Pray… ask …read the Word… wait.. sense God’s direction
4th affirmation when your stressed: I TRUST GOD TO GUIDE ME!
PS.23:3“He leads me in the rights paths for his name’s sake.”
AFFIRM: God will guide me at the right time.
- TRUST GOD’S IN THE DARK VALLEYS
A 5th common source of stress is loss. there 2 reactions- grief & fear
Grief is good. Fear is paralyzing- it stresses me out about the future.
PS. 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; Your rod and your staff comfort me.”
- We need to turn our back on the shadow & look at the light
PS.142:3“When I am ready to give up, he knows what I should do.”
AFFIRM: I don’t have to know the answers if I know & trust God has them.
6. LET GOD BE MY DEFENDER
- A 6th common source of stress is opposition/ criticism
PS. 23:5 “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, and you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.”
PS.18:1-2 “How I love you, Lord! You are my defender, my protector, and my strong fortress. In you I am safe. You protect me like a shield.”
- It takes a lot of faith to REST in God instead of taking matters into our on hands…
I’ve got to DO something about this. NO
- Vengeance is mine the Lord says.
- Also takes humility. You are most like Christ when you refuse..
1 PET 4:19 “So if you are suffering according to God’s will, keep on doing what is right, and trust yourself to the God who made you, for he will never fail you. (actually grow in power)
AFFIRMATION: I Trust God will take care of me.
- EXPECT GOD to finish what he starts in me
- A 6th common source of stress is fearing the future
Are you a “WHAT IF..? person. Always expecting the worst? But what if….
- What do you expect. Bad or Good
PS.23:6“Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
- what are you expecting.
MT. 11:28-30Jesus: “COME to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. TAKE my yoke upon you,and LEARN from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”(RSV)
- When I’m “yoked” with Christ, we move together in the same Direction and the same Speed
- Maybe- to observe a weekly sabbath with no work- trust and do it for the next 3 mo.
PSALM 23 – 7 Affirmation
1. The Lord is my shepherd, so I have all I need
2.He makes me lie down in lush green meadows and leads me besides calm, quiet waters. He restores my soul.
3.He guides me in the rights paths for his name’s sake.
4. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
5. I will fear no evil, for you are with me; Your rod and your staff comfort me.
6. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, and you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
7. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
- SLOW ME DOWN LORD (not used)
- Slow me down, Lord! Ease the pounding of my heart by the quieting of my mind.