SETTING PERSONAL GOALS BY FAITH
50 Days of Transformation – Introduction
WHY ARE GOALS IMPORTANT TO CHANGING MY LIFE?
1. GOAL-SETTING IS A SPIRITUAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Did you know that God sets goals?
- Every person that ever walked with God set goals.
- You will either go through life by design or default.
- If you don’t set goals for your life your abdicating control to somebody else.
- If you have no goals you’re not living your reacting, just existing.
Paul: “I know that I am not yet what God wants me to be. I haven’t reached that goal, but I keep moving toward it to make it mine because Christ made me and saved me for this. I know that I haven’t yet reached my goal, but there’s one thing I always do. Forgetting the past and straining toward what is ahead, I keep my eyes focused on the goal so that I may one day win the prize that God has called me to receive through Christ in the life above. All of you who are spiritually mature should think this same way, too.” Philippians 3:12-15
- GOALS ARE STATEMENTS OF FAITH
- Goals gives God something to work through.
- Without a goal there is nothing your believing for.
- This is a spiritual habit that you must develop
- With a goal your saying to God “this is what I believe God wants me to accomplish by this time.
- If you have no set time on a goal, then it’s not a goal, but a wish or dream.( give it a date to be done.)
“According to your faith will it be done to you.” Matthew 9:29
3. GOALS FOCUS MY ENERGY
- Selection is the name of the Game.
- Focus is the key to an effective life
- The more we focus our life the more powerful and effective our life will become.
- The world is full of distraction.
- You can spend your life, waste your life, or invest your life.
- The greatest use of life is to invest it – in that which will outlast it.
“I do not run without a goal. I fight like a boxer who is hitting something—not just the air.” 1 Corinthians 9:26 (NCV)
4. GOALS KEEP ME GOING
- THEY GIVE ME HOPE TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD
- THEY GIVE ME HOPE TO ENDURE
- THEY GIVE ME HOPE TO PERSIST
Job: “I do not have the strength to endure. I do not have a goal that encourages me to carry on.” Job 6:11 (NLT)
5. GOALS HELP BUILD MY CHARACTER
- YOU WILL EITHER GO THROUGH LIFE BY DRIFTING OR BY DESIGN
- WHEN WE SET A GOAL WE GET A VISION
- WITHOUT A VISON WE HAVE NO DIRECTION AND WE PERISH
Paul: “…I keep striving toward the goal…” Philippians 3:12 (TEV)
6. GODLY GOALS WILL BE REWARDED
- TWO WAYS TO BE REWARDED
- YOU’LL BE RESPECTED BY PEOPLE HERE
- YOU’LL BUILD TREASURES IN HEAVEN
“If your goals are good, you will be respected.” Proverbs 11:27 (TEV)
“All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step.” 1 Corinthians 9:25-26a (NLT)
WHAT KIND OF GOAL DOES GOD BLESS?
There are 3 questions to ask:
1. Will it honor God?
- God must get the Glory from our goals.
- If it come from God then it always will bring Him glory.
“God paid a great price for you. So use your body to honor God.” 1 Corinthians 6:20
“When you eat or drink or do anything, always do it to honor God.”1 Corinthians 10:31
“We make it our goal to please him…” 2 Corinthians 5:9 (NIV)
2. Is it motivated by love?
- Goal can be set by greed, competition, envy, and guilt
- Make sure your love has the right motive.(love)
- Our goals must include a great love for God and others.
- Loveless goals treat people as project!
“Everything you do must be done with love.” 1 Corinthians 16:14 (NLT)
“Let love be your highest goal.” 1 Corinthians 14:1 (NLT)
3. Will it require me to depended on God to accomplish it?
- It can not be based on will power.
- It must be based on God’s power.
- It’s not based on trying, but on trusting.
- I need God’s spirit to empower me.
“We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it.” Proverbs 16:9
There are three things you’ll need to get every Goal accomplished!
- I NEED GOD’S SPIRIT TO EMPOWER ME
“You will not succeed by your own strength or power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord.” Zechariah 4:6 (NCV)
- I NEED GOD’S WORD TO GUIDE ME
“Keep this Book of the Law on your lips. Recite it by day and by night, that you may carefully follow all that is written in it; THEN you will successfully attain your goal.” Joshua1:8
- I NEED GOD’S PEOPLE TO SUPPORT ME
“By yourself you’re unprotected. But with a friend you can face the worst. And a group of three is even better because a rope braided with three strands is not easily snapped!” Ecclesiastes 4:12 (Mes)